Benefits of Square Dancing
There are many benefits to square dancing.
Here are the top 10:
1. It's easy. This is a great benefit to beginners. Square dancing is MUCH easier than line-dancing or prescribed dance routines, because a caller and other dancers help you through the steps. The steps are simple, and you will quickly catch on. Lessons are fun and "angels" help you learn all the calls.
2. Movement is great for your body. While it's not strenuous it provides some cardio strength building. Dancers can get the equivalent of a 5 mile walk in a 2 hour dance! The music and the fun can make you forget you are getting a workout, but your blood is pumping, your limbs are moving and your lungs are getting fresh air pushed throughout your body.
3. It's addicting, which means you'll be back again and again to reap it's benefits. Exercise is not much of a benefit if you don't do it! Square dancing, however, has great appeal and a social connection, so it is common for dancers to make it a weekly, bi-weekly or even daily activity.
4. It’s different than dancing on your own. People who are embarrassed by free-style dancing often find the steps much more comfortable. The men do not need to be concerned about what 'steps' they are going to lead their partner thru. This provides a lot of benefits. It reduces the stress people sometimes feel socially or at activities, and it encourages full movement participation. Many times a woman nags her man to take lessons only to have the man become so addicted that he wants to dance daily!
5. Square Dancing is social! It crosses all age groups. It is a blast to hang out with friends and families in this way. Also, it's an easy way to meet new people without the pressure of thinking of things to talk about to break the ice. There are clubs that cater to singles as well as couples.
6. It’s mental! The steps require you to use both sides of your brain, and what is called "cross-lateral" movements, which are movements that cross from one side of your body to the other. These are great exercises for your brain, memory and coordination, which are all important as we develop as children and as we age as adults.
7. It reduces stress. Stress is the number one health issue, and it is related to disease and disorders of all kinds. The combination of all of the above-listed benefits make square dancing an excellent solution to the need for stress-reduction.
8. No age limits or ability requirements are a great benefit. There are no barriers from making square dancing a lifelong hobby.
9. Take it with you! Square dancing is the same all over the world! Many dancers travel to dances out-of-town, out-of-state and out-of-country. There are cruises and traveling events geared to square dancers!
10. It’s here! Local clubs in your area are waiting for you to join them! What are you waiting for? Come join in the fun!